1992: SFRaves Connects
Other highlights: Sundays in Marx Meadow, Full Moon parties, Come/Unity, Wicked, Woopy Ball, Osmosis, Housing
Project, the Gathering, Deep Faith, Sharon, Equinox, Basics, Funky
Tekno Tribe, New Year's Eve Gathering.
- 3.92 - SFRaves is born. Brian
Behlendorf is the proud daddy. The address at the time is
- 4.11.92 - Battle of the Juggernauts: Toon Town's UFO's are
Real vs. the Gathering. Many SFRavers meet for the first time. I get my
SFRaves button, now a collector's item :).
- 5.2.92 - The first SFRaves picnic, over in the East Bay at
Joaquin Miller Park.
- 5.92 - SFRaves moves to soda.berkeley.edu.
- 7.92 - Plans begin for the first big SFRaves bash, planned
for Bonny Doon.
- 7.30.92 - After some prodding, Brian realizes "Connection"
is a better name than "Conn-X-tion". Other rejected names: DeepByte,
chmod u+x, Contact, Outernet.
- 8.20.92 - Connection goes
off in a big way at Bonny Doon Beach. Word eventually reaches the full
moon massive, which hold a series of also-legendary parties there in
the coming months.
- 9.25.92 - SFR produces Alternity in the basement of 1015.
We fear that the show "48 Hours" would film there, but they don't show.
- 9.92 - SFRaves outgrows soda and is moved to
medisg.stanford.edu (aka sfraves.stanford.edu and techno.stanford.edu)
- 11.92 - Brian discovers a "HUGE squarish open space" in the
Berkeley Marina. The grass is never the same again.
- 11.92 - vrave is born
- 12.9.92 - first-known reference to "luv phasers". Niels
refers to "ravers with...forehead mounted love-phasers...enforcing
Other highlights: Your Sisters' House, Boogie Buffet, Together,
Zanzibar, Mission Rock, Groove Kitchen, MESS, Fluid Groove
- 1.93 - The SFRaves/socal-raves X-country ski trip in
Yosemite. Dana ties my boom box to his backpack and we listen to Spun's
tape while skiing the back country in Yosemite.
- 2.2.93 - was supposed to be the last Come/Unity.
- 3.13.93 - Connection 2 planned for a spot in northwest SF.
Rain forces it into the Charter Oak warehouse, but it is busted partway
into Scott Hardkiss's set. After some scrambling, and a regrouping at
the Cala Foods, the party is moved to the Berkeley Marina and rewards
the SFRavers who brave a light drizzle. Jon Drukman plays on one
turntable for a while, leading into sets from Moonpup, Lee and Blurrrr.
Bob Ramstad may still have tapes :)
- 4.93 - The San Francisco community gets together to throw a
benefit party for Malachy, who was seriously injured after the full
moon party early in March.
- summer '93 - the South Bay lunch begins. I think the first
one was at Jing Jing in Palo Alto, then it is agreed that it works
better as a bring-yr-food picnic in Greer Park.
- 7.29.93 - I take over the SFR calendar from Brian.
- 9.5.93 - Liquid Grooves at Crissy Field in San Francisco.
a string of Liquid Air parties, leading up to the first Friends and
Family at the Blue Cube. The original group of
Liquid Air DJs included Ethan, Bryce, Tamara Palmer, Jon
Drukman, Lee An, and Laura La Gassa.
- 10.3.93 - Lee F., along with Ethan and Bryce throw
Connection Earth, an SFR-sponsored party at Marx Meadows in Golden Gate
Other highlights: Sunset, Pure Space, Organic
- 1.15.94 - the first Friends and Family goes
off in the Blue Cube. Ethan, Bryce and the F&F collective pull it
all together after learning the ropes with fluid groove and liquid air.
Subsequent F&F's pack Klub Komotion with a hot & sweaty group
- 5.28.94 - Lee F. takes the lead in the SFR-organized party
"In the Light" at the bandshell in Golden Gate Park.
- 7.94 - Hyperreal comes up and SFR is moved to it.
1995: SFR: Friends & Family
Other highlights: Sunset, Simply Done, the Gardening Club, Frequency 8,
- 3.95 - The SFR Calendar goes up on the web
- 3.95 - Thanks to the Zippies, SFR has a record 1080
messages over the month.
- 8.95 - Friends
outgrows Komotion and produces the first of two
stellar parties in an Oakland warehouse. The F&F Collective grows
to many dozen
people. The first is so wildly successful
that 600 tickets for the next F&F sell out in advance, in one
- 9.16.95 - Net.ravers from across the country gather and
celebrate Brian and Laura's wedding with a pre-party at Bonny Doon
Beach. They are married the next day.
1999: SFR: Best Local Online Rave Resource
2000: SFR Keeps Going Till the End of the 20th Century
- 3.00 - SFR 8 Years in the Mix - D.O.B. March 1992
2001: SFR Keep's On Thumpin Into the 21st Century
2002: SFRaves Celebrates its Decade Anniversary
10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
of SFRaves !!! - FREE OUTDOOR PARTY in the Park !!!
Bringing the SFR
Community an unforgettable day in the Sun, to enjoy and celebrate a
decade of Music, Dance, Friendship and experiences of SFRaves over the
past 10 years. Experience the celebration through the expression of
ecclectic sound, intriguing memoires and a diverse memorabilia of
flyers, music, art and dance of spanning 1992 - 2002.
Sound provided by Neuroscience Creations.
lineup is as follows:
This event is ALL AGES AND FREE!!! Free refreshments
snacks. 12pm-6pm @ the beautiful McLaren Amphitheater, in San
SFR Calendar is redesigned and a new Hyperreal/SFR interface
for the calendar are launched.
Rave Interface includes
* Map and Directions: http://members.aol.com/peyote4000/map.htm
* Infolines: 415.564.4768 or 415.789.8236
Original Contribution: (1992-1996) Derek Chung -
Compilation and Admin Author: Karina (1996 - Present). Last
updated on March 09, 2005 by Karina -